There are two published books that teach Lojban; The Complete Lojban Language and What is Lojban?. There is also an incomplete but substantial guide, Lojban for Beginners, which teaches Lojban as a course.
- 1 The Complete Lojban Language
- 2 New methods
- 3 The Crash Course in Lojban
- 4 Lojban cards
- 5 Lojban Wave Lessons
- 6 Introduction to Lojban
- 7 Lojban guide
- 8 Flashcard courses
- 9 A book with pictures and English translations
- 10 Earlier methods
The Complete Lojban Language
"The Complete Lojban Language" is a complete description of the artificial language Lojban. It serves as a reference grammar for the language, offering an overview of the language, as well as linguistic details on every aspect of the language. This book serves as the standard defining the language design. That design has been declared frozen for a minimum 5 year period; anyone who learns the language from this book can be assured that it will not be continually changing. Though this description may sound imposing, technical and formal, the book is written in a light, often humorous style that teaches the reader about the Lojban language, about logic, and about linguistics in general.
The Crash Course is a course being written by la gleki by combining the feedback of people learning or speaking Lojban into a tutorial. You read it, report bugs or ask questions and get replies from the author or knowledgable Lojbanists, answers to your questions get included into the course.
- The course tries not to use Lojbanic terminology much. It explains most Lojbanic terms in ordinary language that the learner uses from birth or school. This principle brings Lojban to people, rather than dragging people into Lojban. It adapts the teaching method to the language the student uses in everyday life. For example, for speakers of English (and most languages of Europe) The Crash Course method calls brivla "verbs", calls sumti "nouns". Although, such terms as "noun" and "verb" can mean different things in different languages they are fine for initially explaining how Lojban works.
- The course has a compact dictionary as an addendum that gives examples for the most commonly used verbs and particles.
The intended finalization of this course are years 2017 - 2019. Until then minor bugs can be found in it but the course is mostly already usable.
A distilled overview of the language by ldlework, explaining much of the grammar succinctly using examples and diagrams.
Introduction to Lojban
Lojban in simple phrases. This course is already available for several languages. Features:
- a slick format
- short introduction into Lojban
Your feedback and suggestions can make the course more comprehensive.
You may translate and adapt this course to your native language if it's not already there.
Provides hover translations of both sentences/phrases and words they contain.
- Simple Lojban in phrases: on Memrise.com teaches Lojban through phrases only allowing you to automatically passively learn the nuts and bolts of the language.
Read more about this method: learning with context
What is Lojban?
"What is Lojban?" is intended as a concise introduction to Lojban, providing a taste of the language for those who may decide to take an interest in it.
Lojban for Beginners
"Lojban for Beginners" is an introductory course on Lojban, consisting of fifteen lessons. It has been authored by Robin Turner and Nick Nicholas, and gives a gentle introduction to the structure of the language. Robin authored lessons 1–8 and 10–11 in 1999; Nick added to the existing lessons, and authored lessons 9 and 12–15, in 2001. This book is very accessible, and interacts with the reader using relevant exercises.
There is 逻辑语入门 (a PDF Chinese version)
The errata for this book lives on this page.
A Lojban-English and English-Lojban dictionary. This PDF version has some nice additions to the run-of-the-mill dictionary:
- All the "See also" and "cf." lists are converted to links for easy navigation
- All the words and rafsi appear in tiny white-on-white letters surrounded by dollar signs. This allows you to search for rafsi. For example, looking for $bli$ will get to to bliku.
- Some "cheat sheets" are included to help the aspiring lojbanist.
- Lojban words that are referenced from other definitions, but which don't have definitions of their own are listed in an appendix. The reader is encouraged to go and fix jbovlaste.
- Lojban words that don't have English definitions that map to them are also listed in an appendix.
Lojban Dictionary.pdf is the same as ld.pdf except that AmberShadow has added bookmarks for your navigating pleasure. It also appears to be about half the size in megabytes for no apparent reason. Current version: Edition 8
Seth Lojban Dictionary.pdf is a file designed for print-on-demand machines like the one on BYU campus. Seth Lojban Dictionary Cover.pdf is the book's cover, in similar style to the printable version of LFB. POD machines often require the cover and book to be separate files. The dictionary itself is simply the standard word lists put into a very friend format (no lujvo and such, because of the incomplete nature of such a list). I have used it for a few months and liked it enough to put up for anyone's use. I can also arrange for printed versions of it to be available if there is a desire.
The Lojban Wave Lessons
Lojban Wave Lessons are a set of online lessons created by kribacr and a community of other Lojbanists that employ newer methods of teaching, including teaching the use of terminators as obligatory for the first several lessons and teaching xorlo and dotside as the normal rules. This is preferred over L4B or CLL by some students and recommended by several teachers as it teaches early on several key concepts which prevent confusion later on.