Semi-jocular name for the imaginary country which speaks Lojban (see map at jbotut), or for the Lojban community (at least in its ideal form as a fluent language community). Modelled on the similar mythos of Loglandia used for Loglan. Loglandia was modelled in much more detail on some 'exotic' existing cultures; Lojbanistan has mostly been detail-free, referring primarily to the existing language community, although there are now moves afoot to fill in the Lojbanistan mythos (jbotut) as well, especially in the phrasebook.
The mythos use of is as early as 1990, and shows clear signs of being influenced by the Loglandia mythos (emphasis of exotic, Muslim-like traits; see for example mountains):
We call Lojban-country 'Lojbanistan' - sounds more exotic and non-English.
The 'currently existing Lojban community' sense is also clear by 1990 (though immediately afterwards it was disclaimed by the same author):
Now that there's some support both in Net.Lojbanistan and in Lojban Central for the idea, I'll propose a grammar change.
— John Cowan
Of course, the two notions would have been exceedingly hard to disentangle.
The orientalism of the term may or may not prove a future embarrassment; it was mildly protested by Nick Nicholas at the time of the Gulf War (hence the proposal of Lojbananas as the residents thereof, instead of Lojbani).
- And Rosta:
- If we had called it Lojbania, parallel with Loglandia, would that have been too eurocentric, or would it be okay by virtue of being formed in the standard English latinate way? The latter, IMO.
- Some have tried to reason about it from the gismu.
- A list of Lojbanistani cities to use in freeciv.
- From la .lojbynistan., e.g. lojbo cnisa tsani?
- ↑ http://balance.wiw.org/~jkominek/lojban/9012/msg00017.html
- ↑ http://balance.wiw.org/~jkominek/lojban/9103/msg00028.html
- ↑ http://balance.wiw.org/~jkominek/lojban/9011/msg00018.html
- ↑ http://balance.wiw.org/~jkominek/lojban/9011/msg00020.html
- ↑ http://balance.wiw.org/~jkominek/lojban/9511/msg00495.html
- ↑ http://balance.wiw.org/~jkominek/lojban/9105/msg00009.html
- ↑ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lojban/message/8575