Lojban: Difference between revisions
No edit summary
No edit summary
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
Revision as of 17:30, 3 June 2014
Join our live chat (all linked by chat bridge bots):
What is lojban?
Lojban is a carefully constructed spoken language. It has been built for over 50 years by dozens of workers and hundreds of supporters.
- Lojban's grammar is based on simple rules, and its linguistic features are inspired by predicate logic.
- Lojban allows the expression of nuances in emotion using words called attitudinals, which are like spoken emoticons. ue marks that you're surprised; ba'u marks that you're exaggerating.
- You can be as vague or detailed as you like when speaking lojban. For example, specifying tense (past, present or future) or number (singular or plural) is optional when they're clear from context.
- Lojban is machine parsable, so the syntactic structure and validity of a sentence is unambiguous, and can be analyzed using computer tools.
- There is a live community of speakers expanding the lojban vocabulary day by day.
Lojban means different things to different people
- a linguistic curiosity - a test-bed for language experimentation
- a challenging way to expand their minds or discipline their thoughts
- a new perspective on languages
- an entertaining medium to communicate with friends or create art
- a domain for exploring the intersection of human language and software
What will lojban mean for you?
'The Complete Lojban Language' book is an official publication by The Logical Language Group and is available in several formats:
- As a hardcover book
- CLL v1.1 PDF and CLL v1.1 PDF Cover ; these are the actual files used to produced the hardcover version, so it's exactly what you get if you buy a copy
- CLL v1.1 EPUB (the ebook format) and CLL v1.1 MOBI (another ebook format, generated from the EPUB using Kindle's tools, so it should work on all Kindle devices)
- In HTML: CLL v1.1 HTML One Big File, CLL v1.1 HTML One File Per Chapter, CLL v1.1 HTML One File Per Section
This book will help those who already understand some lojban. It's the most complete reference of lojban language by far. It does not, however, teach vocabulary, style, colloquial language or other possible variations of the language.
This reform was approved by the Logical Language Group in 2003.
Unofficial methods to learn lojban
These are learning resources that are made by people speaking lojban and that represent personal views of those authors:
A set of pronunciation guides
|la karda, a rapid-fire overview of the grammar in small pieces|
search the dictionary
|la camxes is an automatic grammar checker of Lojban utterances. It can help you to understand the structure and correctness of sentences.|
Wave Lessons, a popular textbook
Provides hover translations of both sentences/phrases and words they contain.
Lojban in simple phrases
Also available in PDF. Or try flashcards: Memrise.com offers on-line Lojban vocabulary flashcards, Anki is a downloadable alternative.
try searching for arbitrary words in
the database of sentences
Some of the sentences are not proofread by fluent speakers of Lojban.
Join the chat
and try talking to other Lojbanists when they appear there. Try asking them questions.
«Lessons in Lojban» by Dustin Lacewell
Also check out:
- the translation of 'Alice in Wonderland' by xorxes with a parallel text in English.
- la sutysisku is an online multilingual Lojban dictionary (including English) that also works offline. la vlasisku is an alternative for English speakers only that is regularly updated.
- la jbovlaste is an editable, multilingual dictionary. It is considered by many to be the current de-facto standard dictionary of Lojban. Many other dictionaries and tools are based on it.
- Stardict dictionaries in some languages (usable with GoldenDict, Dictionary Universal, etc.)
- Multilingual gismu (root word) and cmavo (particle) lists in tsv and html formats
- Word lists ordered by frequency of use
- An unofficial list of simple definitions of gismu
Other learning materials ...
Connect with the community
Lojban is spoken by a vibrant community, producing literature, music, and art, and discussing questions about language and thought. The web comic xkcd said that, if you spoke Lojban, you'd have to speak with Lojbanists. That may not be such a bad thing!
Instant messaging (text chat)
Connecting to the chat
Use any of the following messengers (your and others' messages will be available in all of them no matter from which messenger you are sending your questions).
Answers from members of the community will arrive soon.
Using this method you will be able to read the history of the chat since the beginning of 2016.
- Install the free Telegram messenger on your Apple, Android or your desktop device
- join main Lojban chat groups by following these links:
- Ask questions on Lojban in ckule group, talk in or about Lojban in Lojban group and talk only in Lojban in jbosnu group.
The chat is also connected to a Discord server.
- Ask questions on Lojban in #ckule channel, talk in or about Lojban in #lojban channel and talk only in Lojban in #jbosnu channel.
- Freely chat about anything to like-minded Lojbanists in the #jboselbau channel.
You may alternately try other methods of connecting.
Lojban has a presence on many of the most popular web sites: Facebook, Reddit, Quora.
The lojban-beginners mailing list is for questions about learning and understanding Lojban. You can subscribe to the list by sending a question to [email protected].
The general-purpose lojban mailing list, which covers anything else related to Lojban, was founded in 1989, and has about 500 subscribers. You can subscribe to it by sending an email to [email protected].
|English, French, Chinese, Japanese, Esperanto|
Lojban around the world - other ways of communication ...
- Try reading Lojban texts. Start with something shorter and easier such as "Terry the Tiger" (audio is available) or "The Berenstain Bears and the Prize Pumpkin" (a parser suitable to those two texts). When you're ready, move on to "The Little Prince" (suitable parser: camxes) and "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" (suitable parser: maftufa).
- Try your hand at translating into Lojban, or write your own original texts: Poetry, prose, blogs, tweets, etc.
- Continue learning vocabulary using memorization software.
- Help expand the dictionary by translating Lojban words into other languages, or coin new compound words and add them.
More info ...
In other languages