Learn Lojban: new methods
Since 2014 new methods of learning Lojban are being developed. The goal of them is to have faster resources for learning Lojban.
Most people usually prefer to change from one textbook to another. That's why Lojban community is providing alternatives.
The Crash Course method is a new method of teaching Lojban that:
- uses a simple style of speaking Lojban with fewer compound words (lujvo), more usage examples and answers to "How to say ..." questions. It also carefully selects new styles (enriching expressivenes) that are popular in the active Lojban community.
- tries not to use Lojbanic terminology much. It explains most Lojbanic terms in ordinary language (e.g. lo tanru are compound verbs etc.) that the learner uses from birth or school.
- This principle brings Lojban to people, not drags people into Lojban. It adapts the teaching method to the language the student uses in everyday life. Thus, this method is flexible and doesn't have universal recommendations. It all depends on whom you teach.
- For example, for speakers of English (and most languages of Europe) The Crash Course method calls brivla "verbs", calls sumti "nouns". Although, such terms as "noun" and "verb" can mean different things in different languages and are not precise terms they are fine for initial explanation of how Lojban works.
- It has a compact dictionary as an addendum that gives examples to every basic brivla, cmevla and cmavo. Some less used cmavo and gismu are not included.
- The Crash Course tries to preserve the current state of the language as much as possible if this state produces a learnable and usable language.
Examples of its planned parts: "Lojban as a simple language for everyday use", "Lojban compared to specific features in other languages".
Other notorious features:
- Some reforms are done to Lojban while teaching this course. They are either approved by BPFK or are under formalization. One example: le is formalized from scratch, see xorlo as seen by La Gleki.
- The couse can be adapted to teach TLI Loglan.
Lojban in simple phrases
Lojban in simple phrases. This course is already available for several languages. Advantage:
- a slick format
- short introduction into Lojban
- not a very comprehensive
- might not be extensible to languages that differ much from English, French, Portuguese, Polish, Russian
"Speak Lojban!" course
- Primarily a phrasebook
- Audio recordings
- Audio applications ala Flash apps (but on HTML5) showing the pronounciation of Lojban sounds
- Video introductions
Reading texts in Lojban is also a great Different texts for beginners.
ELG - extended grammar
The full reference grammar. It is an optional part, it is not to be included into all published editions.
It's based on CLL and is intended for those who've read The Crash Course and now want more. ELG is to be written in simple Lojban, although editions in other languages are possible (as of now English edition is under way).
Some parts: "Lojban for logicians", "Math in Lojban"
An exam that is to be developed
For now the parser trying to stick to the official grammar is to be used. It doesn't support some new particles, though.